Re: [Social-discuss] Social Network

From: Steven C. Morreale, M.D./M.P.H.
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Social Network
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 15:22:14 -0400

Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 11:38 PM, GNUMD<address@hidden> wrote:
>> Wow that was a painful re-read.
>> I should never write when I have been working and not sleeping for a day.
>>
>> My prior post was a suggestion to check out the features of FirstClass
>> (from OpenText).
>> In particular I think it works well because of design and because it
>> is a client that connects
>> to a server over an encrypted internet connection instead of being a
>> web-browser-based program.
>>
>> This prompted me to consider why not create a GNU/Linux distro for a
>> server that could have a
>> client for permitting a social network of users to connect to it via a
>> GUI (or text) interface.
>
> is this similar to what kde 4.3 / kubuntu going to do this with
> "social desktop" http://www.socialdesktop.org/
>
>> I appreciate anyone else's thoughts on the feasibility of such a design.
>>
>> -steve
>> DrGNU
>> FSF Member #: 6887

This KDE 4.3 sounds interesting but the information on it is too vague
or too much over my head for me to grasp what it can do or is trying to
do and how...

I think the OLPC program's SUGAR is slightly like the FirstClass system.
Perhaps such a system "for grown-ups" would be cool as a shared social
network and collaborative toolset?

How difficult would it be to install a GNU/Linux onto a server and share
 GUI applications and folders with people... with some way to not only
give various permissions but to identify who/when various end users have
viewed/opened any file or folder... eg. history function.

I figure it is do-able but probably needs a good computer and great
network connection to make it work well.  Not sure how FirstClass was
always able to pull it off... I mean it worked well back when I was
using a dial-up modem (it started off originally back in the old BBS
days pre-internet/www).

- --
~Steve

Steven C. Morreale, M.D./M.P.H.
GNUPG public key FINGERPRINT (scm): 9C2E7C77D332B59E4403B2CE012F5DC71036DFBA
GNUPG public key ID (scm): 0x1036DFBA
GNUPG public key (scm) for download/sharing/encryption to scm is
avaiable here:
https://biglumber.com/x/web?pk=9C2E7C77D332B59E4403B2CE012F5DC71036DFBA;qh=599
Don't have GNUPG?  Need instructions? Get both here: http://gnupg.org

INVITATION - YOUR PARTICIPATION IN PUBLIC KEY INFRASTRUCTURE (PKI)
Free Software, Free Society, Information Security - Create a Private
Citizen Public Key Infrastructure
http://myproject.serve.gov/public/OpportunityDetail.aspx?projectId=7282&&subProjectId=4829187