[Social-discuss] Permissions

From: Matija Šuklje
Subject: [Social-discuss] Permissions
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 21:37:52 +0200

I suppose we all agree that a huge problem with current social networking
sites is the lack of control over one's data.

What I would expect of an online social network is that not only I "own"
and have a copy of my data, but that I can control it the way I want it
to.

After giving it a bit of thought, here's what I propose:

\Basic settings/
e.g.
* I want _everything_ to be shared with ___
  - no-one
  - just people connected to me
  - people who are connected to the people who are connected to me
  - everyone

\Normal settings/
(same as 'basic settings' only repeated for every piece of data:)
e.g.
* I want to share my contacts with ____
* I want to share my photos with ____
* I want to share my status with ____
* I want to share my connections with ____
* ...

\Advanced settings/
(introduced custom groups where the user can his _own_ groups and set
permissions for each group access to the data collections from the 'normal
settings')
e.g.
* create "KDE" contact group that includes everyone who joined the "KDE
users" OR "KDE devs" ELGG groups.
* I want to share photos I tagged as "screnshots" with people in my "KDE"
group.
* create "schoolmates" contact group that includes everyone who I have
added to my contacts AND have marked themselves as going to the same high
school as I have.
* I want to share status with "schoolmates"
* create "best friends" contact group that includes Joe, Hans and Giselle
* I want to share share everything with "best friends"

Cheers,
Matija
--
gsm: +386 41 849 552