Re: [Social-discuss] On Data Privacy

From: Story Henry
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] On Data Privacy
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 16:35:20 +0100

On 11 Apr 2010, at 14:18, Max Shinn wrote:

> So, really, only seasoned users who run their own professional hosting, or
> those who know one of these people, will have their information 100%
> private.  Right?  Not quite.  If one server is exploited, my how easy it
> would be to exploit another server that "trusts" that server, or at the
> very least, gain access to private information of other people on other
> servers.  Giving a user on a different server access to a piece of
> information also gives the server operator access to that information.

Yes, you are right, there never can be absolute security. Not even close.
But it does not follow that there can be no security. This type of fallacy
seems to be very common.

Consider that if you put your info on Facebook you MUST trust that
organisation,
there is no way around that. For many organisations this is just not acceptable.
Take just competitors to Facebook for one. Or government organisations, or
armies, or health agencies, etc...

So a system where those agents can work socially is going to be a huge gain.
Of course someone can steal data, but then with a lot of people watching, this
may be spotted more quickly too.

Henry