Re: [Social-discuss] On Data Privacy

From: Matija Šuklje
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] On Data Privacy
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 18:43:21 +0200

There's been quite a lot said already on this topic and I agree with most
what Hallekin O. Wolf and Henry Story said in this thread.

I don't see a reason why a social networking system should integrate IM and
PM and status in itself. IMHO for PM the users should rather use e-mail, for
IM (and PM perhaps) XMPP, and for status/"wall" a Status.net instance.

I don't understand why S2S communication shouldn't be encrypted as well.

Wolf's got a good point on hostility of internet from certain governments and
other instances. I also agree with Story's reasoning about trust of
organisations, systems and instances.

From my POV the bottom line is that of course we can't reach the security
nirvana, but we should bloody well aim for it! Of course we can add /some/
more control in later releases, but if we leave privacy and security on the
side track for now now, we might have missed the best chance.

GNU Social should be a lot more then just a decentralised AGPL'd Facebook
clone. It's true that privacy, security, control and freedom of speech are
not the same thing, but they are overlapping. And we have to give the whole
package to the user.

Cheers,
Matija

P.S. Hope it's coherent, written in a hurry ...catching deadlines :\
--
gsm: +386 41 849 552
www: http://matija.suklje.name