[Social-discuss] Ning closing free sites

From: Ted Smith
Subject: [Social-discuss] Ning closing free sites
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 15:41:21 -0400

Ning (a non-free social networking service provider) is closing down
gratis instances.

A few organizations I'm involved with are a bit lost as a result of this
- some of them are trying out Elgg and GNU Social has been mentioned
once (better than zero!).

This would make a really good argument for free social networking
services. I'm going to be blogging about it and adding it to my personal
arsenal of talking points, but the best response to this would be to
tell people "Forget Ning - run your own GNU Social node, and be
free/autonomous".

We're doing a very important job here, people, and it's vital that we
get it done. There's been a lot of bikeshedding on this list lately, and
I've been an offender, and we need to stop that and focus on what
everyone can agree is the best step forward: designing a GNU Social
protocol.

Forward, faster, comrades! A GNU world awaits us!