[Social-discuss] Re: The Next Step

From: Brylie Oxley
Subject: [Social-discuss] Re: The Next Step
Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 21:49:50 -0700

* The current state of low-cost web hosting makes PHP and MySQL the
clear contenders as the development platform of choice, much to the
chagrin of some.
Language choice is not simply a matter of chagrin. It is a matter of freedom and cooperation. Lets keep talking about how to unify development efforts in many languages (and locales) by developing a robust protocol and allowing creative minds to flourish by using development methods of preference.

Secondly, languages such as Perl, Python, and Ruby are commonly supported on cheap web hosts including 1and1, Arvixe, BlueHost, DreamHost, FastDomain, FatCow, GoDaddy, Greenville, HostClear, HostGator, HostMonster, iPage, ixWebHosting, JustHost, MochaHost, to name several.

I am a novice programmer but I see projects such as JRuby, Jython, and Scala which are gluing together languages and development paradigms. While I recognize the importance of development on a ubiquitous language such as PHP, I don't think that we should segregate our community at such an early stage, if at all. We need Solidarity.

--Brylie Oxley
GNU.media Intern
The Woolman Semester

http://woolman.org
(530) 273 - 3183

"..ideas should freely spread from one [person] to another over the globe, for the moral and mutual instruction of man[kind], and improvement of [our] condition.." - -Thomas Jefferson