Re: [Social-discuss] Re: The Next Step

From: Rob Myers
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Re: The Next Step
Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 14:51:02 +0100

On 05/08/2010 05:49 AM, Brylie Oxley wrote:

I am a novice programmer but I see projects such as JRuby, Jython, and
Scala which are gluing together languages and development paradigms.
While I recognize the importance of development on a ubiquitous language
such as PHP, I don't think that we should segregate our community at
such an early stage, if at all. We need Solidarity.

I am, as I've stated before, not a big fan of PHP. I am however a big fan of languages anyone can run and hack on. The dynamic scripting languages are more widespread now, yes. But they are not widespread enough, and it takes time to learn each one. The only really PHP-like language is PHP (thank goodness), and it really is everywhere.

We can produce twenty sketches in different languages that have been fun for individuals to write or we can have the satisfaction of producing something more finished that other people can actually use and hack on. This is a GNU project, so it's about producing free software for people to use above all else. The itch we're scratching is freedom.

Discussion on this list has raised, and continues to raise, important technical and social issues and creative possible solutions to them. I've learnt a lot reading this list and talking to people on IRC and at conventions. The protocol discussion in particular has been recognised as important, and there's a list for that now (see the original post in this thread). People will be able to make protocol clients in the language of their choice.

But while we've been talking, several other free social network projects have started, or released new versions, and have received a lot of attention. We need to get coding, and we need to get coding on something that supports everyone's freedom as much as possible even if that makes for less cool framework choices. That doesn't preclude desktop clients or other good stuff later, but it does give us something to focus on right now.

- Rob.