Re: [Social-discuss] Would a 'DynHttpd' service be useful?

From: Hellekin O. Wolf
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Would a 'DynHttpd' service be useful?
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 17:41:09 +0000

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 07:18:11PM +0200, Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson wrote:
> Hello GNU-Social :-)
>
> [...]
>
> Would it be useful for the various open-social projects if there were a
> cloud-based dynamic HTTP-front-end service?

*** Sounds spooky :)

> Behavior when you aren't online is a fun topic: it could be anything from a
> dropped request, to a 'Sorry, I'm not online now' page, to automatic
> failover to a mirror on a friend's machine.

*** i like this.

> I don't know if that is an appealing trade-off for anyone... but man I wish
> someone would fix SSL so it wasn't 1:1 with IP addresses.  Is anyone working
> on that?

*** nginx, apache with mod_ssl or mod_gnutls, cherokee and lighttpd
all support Single Name Indication nowadays.  So the mapping is not
1:1 anymore.  But some clients will get the 'first' certificate,
whatever it is: there are some glitches, but it generally works.

> Thoughts?  Oh, also - does this already exist?  :-)

*** You should have a look at PSYC, especially the surf command that
serves documents via HTTP (using your local browser), from your PSYC
client (or IRC, or XMPP).

==
hk