[Social-discuss] Interoperability?

From: Matija Šuklje
Subject: [Social-discuss] Interoperability?
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 21:02:10 +0200

Hullo,

I know this is in a way another buzzword, but I've been wondering lately about
interoperability of diverse Free social networking systems.

Use case:

Alice is a user of an Appleseed instance;
Andrew is a user of an Appleseed instance;
Boris is a user of a BuddyPress instance;
Charlie is a user of a Crabgrass instance;
Diana is a user of a Diaspora instance;
Darwin is a user of a Diaspora instance;
Estefan is a user of an Elgg instace;
Gérémie is a user of a GNU Social/DaisyChain instance.

Can/will all these people communicate via their Free social networking
instances with others?

If we end up with a bunch of separate social networks and Alice can
communicate only with Andrew; Diana with Darwin; and all the rest are just
islands to themselves, we haven't solved anything really.

To some extent if we succeed only with intra-system, but not inter-system
interoperability, the situation wouldn't be much different then the status quo
in the long run, where Romeo is from Facebook and Juliet from MySpace, so to
speak.

Cheers,
Matija
--