Re: [Social-discuss] Interoperability?

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Interoperability?
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 16:02:38 -0400

On 05/27/2010 03:52 PM, Ted Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-05-27 at 21:02 +0200, Matija Šuklje wrote:
>> I know this is in a way another buzzword, but I've been wondering lately
>> about
>> interoperability of diverse Free social networking systems.
>
> That's the point of GNU Social at this juncture - creating a protocol
> that will do this.

I'm glad to hear it.  It's difficult to tell this is the point from
reading pages on the web site or following this list (though i've only
been on the list for a little while).

   http://groups.fsf.org/wiki/Group:GNU_Social

For example, this page has defensive-sounding language about the choice
of programming language (PHP), which seems like it would be irrelevant
to a project whose goal was the creation and maintenance of a
distributed, interoperable social networking protocol.

  http://groups.fsf.org/wiki/Group:GNU_Social/Ideas

This page contains a lot of fascinating, good, broad-strokes ideas, but
nothing approaching a protocol which a developer could go off and build
a compatible implementation for.

Where is the discussion of the protocol taking place?  What outreach is
being made to developers of the other systems mentioned to ensure that
the protocol meets their needs and is adoptable?

Thanks to everyone for their work on this important project, and sorry
if i'm asking people to repeat themselves.  I really haven't been able
to find the protocol work i've been looking for, and would appreciate a
pointer or two.

Regards,

        --dkg