Re: [Social-discuss] Future of GNU social

From: Ted Smith
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Future of GNU social
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 12:11:38 -0400

On Fri, 2010-05-28 at 11:51 -0400, Matt Lee wrote:
> Due to maturity of the codebase, myself and the other contributors have
> decided to build GNU social alongside StatusNet, and additionally, we
> recommend OStatus as the basis for the distributed social networking
> protocol we intend to champion.

I thought this had been discussed (and rejected) in the past - as far
back as the autonomo.us mailing list. What's changed since then in terms
of the StatusNet protocol serving as the basis for the GNU Social
protocol?

What of all the other discussion on this list regarding other protocols?

Personally, it is still my opinion that a higher-level protocol,
speaking in terms of abstract concepts, and implemented over several
other protocols, including OStatus and everything else, as transports,
would be best for this GNU World we're building, and I don't understand
why OStatus alone is being singled out now. The StatusNet codebase has
been mature as long as this project has been alive.