Re: [Social-discuss] Future of GNU social

From: Rob Myers
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Future of GNU social
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 21:09:39 +0100

On 05/30/2010 05:39 PM, Ted Smith wrote:
On Fri, 2010-05-28 at 23:27 +0100, Rob Myers wrote:
OStatus and StatusNet fit the original federated server idea, and were
the example that I personally had in mind for that.

Originally, I had the same idea, but over time I became convinced that
only locally-running code could really provide adequate privacy and
freedom.

You can run your own federated server, and GLAMP stack, locally. I agree that we want to control out own computing resources, I think that's one of the main points of rms's SaaS talk.

Eben Moglen's talk on cloud freedom shows a very good way of doing this - run our won *dedicated* computing resources in the form of our own "wall wart" server.

I make no great claims for GLAMP/HTTP other than that it's a widely available, well-understood stack and that we at least know what's wrong with it and what we'll have to address. ;-)

Also, does StatusNet support XMPP as a server-to-server transport, or
just as a UI transport (a way for the user to get stuff to the server)?
It was my impression it was just a UI transport.

I am just getting back up to speed on StatusNet so I don't know, you may well be right. But if we can help improve StatusNet inter-server communication that's a definite win.

- Rob.