Re: [Social-discuss] Blockchain

From: carlo von lynX
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Blockchain
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 12:53:00 +0100

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 11:50:00AM +0800, Kenneth Fields wrote:
> hello gnuS,

disclaimer: i'm from the opposing faction, those
who are working on distributed social networking
rather than federated. because.

> I’m wondering if there is any work on a gnusocial blockchain plugin?
> I know about gnu projects like taler and hyperledger, but
> I was thinking about gnuSocial specifically.
>
> I don’t use the private message plugin much in our instance (artsmesh.io
> <http://artsmesh.io/>),
> so that function could be replaced with send/receive ethereum based tokens.
>
> Other todo’s for blockchain plugin:
> 1. Replace the private messaging function with blockchain wallet:
> send/receive.

federated social networks by design do not protect
metadata. a reason to use blockchain and thus cause
inappropriate amounts of environmental damage only
makes sense to me if metadata protection is an
objective (by using Tor or bitmessage). since that
is already a lost case by design of gnu social, it
makes sense to use pgp-mail or other encrypted
trivial messaging. there is no gain in employing
environment-killing tech.

> 2. Extend user/group profiles with token info: ethereum address,
> 3. Other Personal tokens to watch in your wallet: contract address, name of
> token, token symbol, decimals).
> - including your own personal token (for example jondoe.eth).
> - so you can exchange tokens with people
> 4. So in your side bar, your avatar becomes your eth address colored icon
> 5. when you subscribe to users/groups, you have their eth address right there
> in their profile.

blockchain people need to start learning about
the rest of distributed systems design. block-
chain is but a minor tool in the larger toolset
of distributed computing, and the answers to
questions like how to do messaging and social
networking in a distributed way akin to the
blockchain are not going to be answered by last
century server-based federation technology.
also they may find out that other people already
got rid of proof-of-work instead of just talking
about it for years.

--
  E-mail is public! Talk to me in private using encryption:
         http://loupsycedyglgamf.onion/LynX/