Re: A Tale of Two Milters (spamass-milter and clamav-milter)

From: Dan Nelson
Subject: Re: A Tale of Two Milters (spamass-milter and clamav-milter)
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 13:07:09 -0600

In the last episode (Feb 29), Dan O'Brien said:
> I've added Clam AntiVirus to the Sendmail box that does my
> SpamAssassin filtering.  I'm not sure how big a deal this is, but
> messages that are caught by Clam will sometimes get tagged as spam.
>
> Is there a way for the spamass-milter to get bypassed when a message
> is found to be infected by ClamAV?

You've got lots of options:

- Run spamass-milter first

- Add a spamassassin rule that checks for the clamav virus header and
  subtracts a couple points

- Look at some of the incorrectly-tagged messages, determine the rules
  that caused spamassassin to score it so high, and adjust thir scores
  down a bit.

> As an aside, the Clam AV milter was pretty easy to install and so far
> has been working pretty well.

Yes, I'm using it too (via smtp-vilter so if we ever buy the Symantec
gateway I can just plug it into that).  I bounce all viruses though,
since I can't trust my end-users not to open the attachments :)

--
        Dan Nelson
        address@hidden