RE: current state of spamass-milter

From: Nate Schindler
Subject: RE: current state of spamass-milter
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:32:53 -0700

I *did* have some kind of issue with this...
I think my problem was that I have messagewall at the front-lines accepting
client connections, and messagewall keeps an open connection with sendmail
regardless of whether or not it's talking to a client.  I just changed my
timeouts.

Without remembering why it works, spamass-milter is using the "-- -t 0" switch
to disable timeouts in spamc, and sendmail kills persistant client connections
(messagewall) at 1hr - Timout.command in sendmail.cf because messagewall walks
the conversation with sendmail up to 'mail from' before it even gets a client
connection.  Messagewall automatically reconnects when a connection is
terminated.
The real security-related timeouts are controlled my messagewall in my set-up.
5 minutes max idle time.

So, basically I have sendmail restarting unused child processes every hour, and
my problem went away.