straw-devel

Re: [Straw-devel] noticing the freezes here too

From: Jan Alonzo
Subject: Re: [Straw-devel] noticing the freezes here too
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 16:51:01 +1000

Hello,

On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 06:59, Juri Pakaste wrote:

> (I admit: haven't been using Straw a lot lately, having a Windows
> machine for work sucks)
>
> I notice the freezes here, too. In fact they really are quite bloody
> unbearable. When did it ever get this bad, I think it used to work
> smoother?

I'm not quite sure but it is only now that I really notice it.

> Is it really all in SummaryParser.py? I really want to
> benchmark this. Jan, what did you say the thingy was you used for
> benchmarking? Python 2.3's hotshot?

Yeah, if you use the hotshot module, you'll see that
SummaryParser/sax/expat are fairly up at the top(sorted by cumulative
time of course). My suspect is sax (blocking perhaps) because when I
switched to SummaryParserMP, it all went away*.

Note that feedparser/rssparser doesn't use sax or any of the python xml
tools. uhmm.. we can also cut down the dependency stack down a bit if
we're going to use it. (I'm using it mostly, and it's all good here
except for one show stopper bug)

Cheers,

--
  .''`.   Jan Alonzo    <jmalonzo at spaceants dot org>
 : :' :         "A coincidence is a scientific anomaly"