straw-devel

Re: [Straw-devel] Weird formatting across paragraphs

From: Juri Pakaste
Subject: Re: [Straw-devel] Weird formatting across paragraphs
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 20:10:56 +0200

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 15:27 -0500, Steve Laniel wrote:
> I just bothered to examine one UI oddity in a feed I load
> all the time. See
> http://bookslut.com/blog/index.rdf
>
> In particular, look at the feeds containing multiparagraph
> quotes in italics. E.g.,
>
> <description><![CDATA[<p>The San Antonio Express-News looks at the <a
> href="http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA020105.01A.quixote.634bf851.html";>merchandising</a>
>  of Don Quixote in Mexico. (Go to <a
> href="http://bugmenot.com/";>BugMeNot.com</a> for a username and password.)</p>

> comic idol Cantinflas and the masked rebel leader Subcomandante Marcos.</p>

> Quixote. "I would imagine it is because of what they read; his teaching is a
> bit crazy, but he achieves his objective."</i></p>]]></description>
>
> When I view this feed in Straw, the italics end at the end
> of the first paragraph. The XML looks perfectly fine; it
> should display the italics properly. The corresponding web
> page displays them just fine:
>
> http://bookslut.com/blog/archives/2005_02.php#004270
>
> Does anyone else see this behavior?

Not running Straw ATM, but I wouldn't be too surprised. It's broken
HTML, after all: the italics can't span the paragraph break
just a question of Mozilla and MSIE putting in more effort to render
broken HTML "as expected" than gtkhtml2. (Well, they put more effort to
render good HTML correctly, too, but you get the idea.)

--
[ Juri Pakaste | address@hidden | http://www.iki.fi/juri/ ]