[STUMP] Slow scrolling everywhere, and slow firefox altogether

From: Grim Ghoul
Subject: [STUMP] Slow scrolling everywhere, and slow firefox altogether
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 23:21:46 +0200

Oh, so I moved to StumpWM. Been a Ratpoison user for years, but I decided I
have to make the jump. "Get with the times", so to speak.
I'm a bit dissapointed and I will most definitely move away from it for the
time being, but instead of rage quitting I'll try to provide info as to what my
problem is, maybe in the future it will be fixed.
My problem is twofold:
1. Scrolling in any (and I mean, *ANY*) application is really really choppy and
slow. Sometimes, it would even freeze for seconds, and then start to scroll
really slow without me even touching the mouse (out of "inertia", I guess). The
scrolling issue seems to get better when I'm scrolling my dragging the
scrollbar instead of using the mousewheel.
2. In Firefox, the above problem still exist but here I get slowness
everywhere. It's going really really *really* slow, sometimes it takes 2-3
seconds for a button/tab to actually click. If I grab a tab, trying to move its
position, it takes a few seconds until I can actually see it get grabbed, and
then it gets dropped at (apparently) random locations (thus moving it to a new
window). Scrolling and other intensive tasks like moving or changing a tab
makes my CPU jump up at over 65-70% usage. I will sometimes click a link/button
and it would not even click, like it somehow decided to ignore the fact that I
clicked, I have to click again to get a response. I hit the new tab button and
it takes a few seconds to open a new empty tab, etc. These things seem to
happen randomly, sometimes firefox would work ok, and other times a simple
click will make me CPU shoot up. This is really hard to explain, it's really
one of those things that you have to experience to see how anoying it is. I'm
seriously starting to pull hairs out because I like Stump, I have it all
configured and I really hate to move away from it, but functionality is a key
issue with me.

Needless to say, this only happens in Stump. Everything is just fine in the
other WMs (Ratpoison, Openbox and dwm have been thoroughly tested in this
aspect).
Any thoughts or ideas are welcomed. Is anyone else experiencing this? Are these
bugs, or am I simply running a machine that doesn't "click" with Stump?

Some info that may be of importance:

- Stump is compiled with SBCL 1.0.50
- My machine is not really top of the line, but not a reject either (an AMD
Brisbane 5000+ dualcore, 2G RAM)
- I'm running a 32 bit install of Slackware 13.37
- My video driver is nouveau (atleast that's what Xorg says, I haven't manually
set up a xorg.conf in years).

--
When there's no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the earth