Re: [STUMP] Style question: FFI vs. CLI

From: Joseph Gay
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Style question: FFI vs. CLI
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2012 13:09:56 -0500

This is a great question and an informative response. Thanks to you
both.

A related question is whether it is better to utilize a DBUS interface
versus FFI or CLI. For example, I have code to control wicd via its DBUS
interface, but I ran into a issues with the existing DBUS library. I
forked a workaround that loads from a local project. It works, but there
seem are idiosyncrasies with the interface such as certain asynchronous
commands delaying several seconds before returning.

I intend to nail down the issue (likely a misuse of iolib), and submit a
proper patch, but even assuming everything runs smoothly and is made
available in quicklisp, there is still the concern of the DBUS library
pulling in many dependencies.

Is DBUS useful enough to provide the impetus for making interfaces
easily accessible from within stumpwm?