Re: [STUMP] Style question: FFI vs. CLI

From: Diogo F. S. Ramos
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Style question: FFI vs. CLI
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2012 01:42:38 -0300

Joseph Gay <address@hidden> writes:

> Is DBUS useful enough to provide the impetus for making interfaces
> easily accessible from within stumpwm?

I can't remember why now, but I've recently searched for a CL DBUS
library and the scenario was not very encouraging. There is one in
Quicklisp, but many (maybe every?) source code file has a banner with
the words "DEATH 2010-2011", which I don't know what it means, but it
doesn't sound right.

Many programs on Linux ecosystem use DBUS, and from a distance, I would
say that the numbers are growing. On some systems, you can't even kill
-9 DBUS without it dying a horrible death.

So I guess you can check the box for DBUS importance.

Now, for stumpwm, I guess it depends on how you want to interface with
the cold world outside our cozy REPL.

For me, you gain brownie points every time you let me avoid having to
deal with things other than Lisp.

--
Diogo F. S. Ramos