Re: [STUMP] Authentication agent under stumpwm - lxpolkit?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Authentication agent under stumpwm - lxpolkit?
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 14:40:37 +0800

On Sun, Aug 12 2012, Diogo F. S. Ramos wrote:

> Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> It's the thing that lets you mount USB drives and shutdown without the
>> use of sudo, for instance! It's a big deal, and the main reason that I
>> ended up using stumpwm inside xfce, instead of on its own.
>
> Mounting USB drives is an interesting problem. Not that StumpWM should
> do everything, but still.

Well the idea here wouldn't be that stumpwm itself was doing it, but
that it was tying into polkit or something, using the right tool for the
job.

> I don't know about other distributions, but on Ubuntu one can mount
> things using `umount' so you don't need to use `sudo' nor mess with
> `fstab'.

There are certainly workarounds (pmount?), but a *lot* of stuff can be
made easier with proper authentication policy. NetworkManager is another
one that really relies on authentication. Incidentally, WPA2 wireless
security management is another big reason I decided not to run bare stumpwm.

> Some time ago I tried to code something with DBUS so it would automount
> stuff, but it was too much for me.

I have to admit I've failed to write Dbus scripts, as well.