Re: [STUMP] Authentication agent under stumpwm - lxpolkit?

From: Servilio Afre Puentes
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Authentication agent under stumpwm - lxpolkit?
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 10:17:54 -0400

On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 13:46:32 +0100, Johnny <address@hidden> wrote:
> address@hidden (Diogo F. S. Ramos) writes:
>
> > Johnny <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> >> Is there a better way to run an authentication agent under stumpwm? How
> >> do other users do?
> >
> > I'm not entirely sure what an "authentication agent" is, but whenever I
> > have to run something along with stumpwm, I put it in my ~/.xinit or
> > start it from ~/.stumpwmrc.
> >
> > I even saw people running ssh-agent from ~/.xinit.
>
> I don't understand the full workings, but basically an authentication
> agent is used by an application to run as another user, e.g. in this
> case I am running virt-manager as a normal user, and the authentication
> agent (when running) pops up and lets me run the application by giving
> root credentials.

For what I've read it is a bit more granular than that: it just grants
you access to a privilege application, without giving you the
credentials needed for what the application will do.

> Without this, virt-manager will not let me access the virtual
> machines.
>
> I could probably put the command in one of the init files, but I am sure
> other users must have similar applications and wonder if there is a
> better way to resolve authentication?

I used run-prog for launching the GNOME PolicyKit agent:

(run-prog "/usr/lib/policykit-1-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1"
          :wait nil)

I do the same with all the programs I choose to run from
/etc/xdg/autostart.

Servilio