Re: [STUMP] 0.9.9 Performance Regression

From: David Bjergaard
Subject: Re: [STUMP] 0.9.9 Performance Regression
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 19:12:33 -0500

Hi Jim,

I have to admit, I've never considered the magnitude of the number of
windows your trying to manage when writing code for StumpWM.  That being
said I haven't written much of it, so hopefully we can sort things out.

There are two options:
1. Start with the git head and roll back commits until you see the older
   behavior. (This could be potentially painful depending on how far
   back you have to go and how hard it is to get your 120 windows back
   open)
2. Take the 0.9.9 version and replace files that changed a lot with the
   0.9.8 version until the problem goes away.  Many of the changes that
   were made were incremental and single files specific, but you could
   end up with an unbuildable system by just substituting files. Off the
   top of my head color.lisp and module.lisp changed the most, there
   were also a bunch of bug fixes to fix unhandled crashes but these
   were minor and shouldn't have caused a change in how stumpwm listens
   for events.
3. (speculating) Find a way to interrupt the stumpwm process when the
   hang occurs and get a stack trace that we can debug with.  I'm not
   sure how to do this exactly, maybe someone else can comment.

Of course there are the "standard" debugging steps:
1. Make sure this problem is still present with an clean .xinitrc (just
   "exec /path/to/stumpwm")
2. Use an empty .stumpwmrc (just to make sure its not code you wrote)
3. Set the debug level high and redirect it to a file
4. Provide us with your linux version/distro, the lisp flavor and
   version (sbcl, ecl, clisp)
5. Finally, since the module system is so new, let us know what modules
   you are using.  There is a known problem with the truetype font
   module that makes stumpwm very sluggish even on moderately old
   systems.

Finally: four monitors, 60 windows?! I can't decide if I'm supremely
jealous or very frightened.

Good Luck!

    Dave