Re: [STUMP] rat-bisect-move

From: Scott Jaderholm
Subject: Re: [STUMP] rat-bisect-move
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2016 15:03:48 -0700

Hi Marco,

Thanks for sharing your package and welcome to stumpwm.

Some thoughts:

Mention keynav as alternative and describe major differences if any.

Under dependencies I would perhaps mention that the user will need to
install the zpng lisp dependency. It is required by the screenshot
module which is mentioned but the user will likely not have used that
module previously so when loading your module they may see a zpng
package missing error.

xloadimage package is required on Debian for xsetbg.

Maybe write keybindings in stumpwm format, like s-c, s-b, s-{left,right,down,up}

Module is mispelled modul twice in readme.

As for using rat-bisect-move, I only tried it briefly, since I'm OK
using the mouse, so I may be missing something/using it incorrectly.

Issue 1: resize indicators left on the screen.
I've had issues before with iresize leaving old indicators on the
screen and my system does the same for rat-bisect-move. The old
rectangles are left on the screen and it becomes confusing seeing the
active area. This very well may be limited to my system. I'm assuming
that only the active area is supposed to indicated at any given
moment. If it is working as intended (show old areas that have been
divided) then I find it confusing.

Issue 2: it wasn't clear how to abort
In iresize the user can C-g or ESC. This may be related to issue #1. I
wonder why you chose not to go with a single top-level binding and
have all the other bindings underneath that like iresize. You could
have left,right,down,up,c,b all unprefixed which may make repeatedly
pressing them easier.

Scott