swarm-gis

Re: GRASS "5.0"

From: David Hastings
Subject: Re: GRASS "5.0"
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 11:54:43 -0600 (MDT)

Hi All,

I just retrieved the files that Jim lists below.  I'll probably try
compiling the code at home under Linux this weekend, to see how it does.
However, there are a few other things already committed-to this
weekend....

I'll report back either way sometime next week.

Dave Hastings

On Mon, 5 May 1997, Jim Westervelt wrote:

> For those interested in GRASS "5.0".
>
> Find on ftp.gis.uiuc.edu under pub/grass5.0 two tar.Z files:
>   A src tree
>   A binary tree compiled under Solaris 5.5
>
> These are extracted directly from the developer's area on the CERL machines
> (where GRASS releases were made).  I believe there is nothing here that
> couldn't be assembled from the GRASS 4.1 release and upgrades stored on
> moon.cecer.army.mil  The difference is that it's all assembled in one
> place!  You'll still need to visit moon to extract documentation and many
> of the contributed programs.
>
> Please note that these files represent an unofficial/informal release of a
> version of GRASS that supports floating-point numbers and the separation of
> null/0 values.  Perhaps $1M was invested past GRASS4.1, so there is quite a
> lot here.  However, the usual alpha and beta releases with associated bug
> fixes were never done.  I, however have been thrilled with this version and
> have only run into problems with a few programs.  Keeping grass4.1 around
> helps me work around those problems however.
>
> As always, this code is freely distributable and comes with no warranty of
> any kind.  Use it, commercialize it, love it!
>
> ----
> For LINUX users, David Hastings at NOAA wrote:
>
> I know of two locations publicly posting GRASS 4.x for Linux:
>
> 1. CERL's ftp site "moon" has the version that I first used, and still use
> at the office.
> 2. The REGIS project at the University of California at Berkeley has a
> version.  I believe that you can start at their Website
> (http://www.regis.berkeley.edu) and find your way to those materials.
>
> In addition, I compiled the GRASS 4.1.5 source (5.0) code on my home Linux
> box,
> and use that version at home.  As often happens for me, a couple of
> functions did not compile - fortunately ones that I can live without.  I
> want to get back to fixing and recompiling those functions, but it hasn't
> been a high priority up to now.  Incidentally, the compilation, using gcc
> for the C compiler, went fairly smoothly on my home Linux box.  Indeed,
> the compilation went much more easily than our current compilation under
> Solaris on a Sun box at the office...

   Swarm-GIS is for discussion of Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
   and their integration or use with Swarm.  For list administration
   needs (esp. [un]subscribing), please send a message to
   <address@hidden> with "help" in the body of the message.