swarm-gis

recent swarm-grass progress?

From: sswanson
Subject: recent swarm-grass progress?
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 15:44:05 -0700 (MST)

Greetings to all.

My name is steve, I have finally after several months managed to get both
grass and swarm running on Slackware 3.1 Linux (on a pentium 120), which
also took some months of work.  I have been interested in gis/swarm since
I attended a workshop Timothy Kohler gave at the Society for American
Archaeology meetings in April 1996.  (I guess it actually took me about
17 months to get up and running...:).  I've played with the applications
on the swarm site, though I haven't looked at much of the code (I bought
two books on intro C programming and one on Tcl/Tk programming
yesterday.)  Tonight I may try to load the swarm-grass utility(?)
mentioned in the swarm-gis archives of april or may, but I thought I
might ask a few questions first.  (I.E., I am nervous about messing up my
software setup now that I have finally got it to run, which is really
only because of the binary releases.)

1.  My GIS experience is largely in arc/info - aml, and some arcview (no
avenue) but GRASS doesn't look that diffidult.  Nevertheless, I would
like to know if anyone is working on a swarm-(esri) connection.

2.  Will this swarm_grass.* tool run on Linux, even though it was written
for a different machine?  (And would it hurt my setup to try it?)

3.  Is anyone out there working on this still?  I've tried to find links
on the web for Kohler/Van West's project (other than the general paper)
but the referred to site in sydney, australia no longer has whatever was
there.

I'd really appreciate any feedback, comments, suggestions, criticism,
etc.  I want to incorporate some of this stuff into a dissertation, and
would like to get started, although I am not sure of the best way of
going about it.  (I just finished my MA a couple weeks ago, so I'm not in
*that* much of a hurry.)

Thanks in advance.

Steve Swanson

   Swarm-GIS is for discussion of Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
   and their integration or use with Swarm.  For list administration
   needs (esp. [un]subscribing), please send a message to
   <address@hidden> with "help" in the body of the message.