swarm-gis

Re: recent swarm-grass progress?

From: Dr. Paul Box
Subject: Re: recent swarm-grass progress?
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 10:01:30 -0600

Well-timed question!

I have also been very excited by the prospect of swarm-gis, though other
details
like finishing a dissertation, family considerations, moving, etc. have taken
precedence over the last several months.

I have just started work as an assistant professor at Utah State, and have
obtained (some) resources from the geography department to continue development
on the swarm-gis interface.  With this allocation and declaration of intent, we
have just obtained .orglet status for swarm-gis.  (being an .orglet doesn't
imply any exclusive rights to anything on our end, it just means that we have
announced that we are doing development in this area, that we will make
ourselves available as a resource to anyone with interest in this, and welcome
discussion with anyone else doing similar work).

I have not yet gotten the grass2d object to work correctly, and my own attempts
at a swarm-gis have not been anything close to something that can be released
the community (yet).  My work over the last few weeks has been getting swarm to
compile correctly on our sun network, and this week is the week that I start
fiddling with grass2d again.

As for working with grass coming out of an aml background, everyone is entitled
to their opinion.  I personally think grass is great for analytical work,
though
arc/info makes prettier maps.  The general consensus at the swarmfest in
February was that arc/info is a little too proprietary to effectively develop
with swarm in its present state.

I will have the swarm-gis webpage written sometime this week.  It should be
reachable first through my personal page at http://www.nr.usu.edu/~sanduku and
should have its own page when the development effort takes off.

I look forward to there being some action in this group after so many months of
inactivity.  Please feel free to contact me to discuss anything to do with
swarm
and/or gis.

   Swarm-GIS is for discussion of Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
   and their integration or use with Swarm.  For list administration
   needs (esp. [un]subscribing), please send a message to
   <address@hidden> with "help" in the body of the message.