swarm-gis

Re: Building GRASS 5.0

From: Peter T. Hraber
Subject: Re: Building GRASS 5.0
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 12:41:46 -0600

Greetings,

I am not sure I am able to answer the questions Ken asks,
though I think that GRASS is definitely very useful for
rendering elevation data, as well as calculating slope and
aspect relations from these data.  A distance/cost function
can also be invoked to compute relative accessibility given
terrain features.

What I want to contribute to this list is some tutorial
and introductory information I have for GRASS novitiates
(attached).  Many thanks to the author of the tutorial,
Tim Keitt.  The documentation which lists all of GRASS'
functions (not here, but presumably with the distribution)
is also extremely helpful.

As far as the installation ordeal, it sounds like you've
done the hard part.  Building the gnu compiler to support
Objective C was the trickiest part of the installation for
me...

Cheers,

Peter Hraber
                        Peter T. Hraber, MA MS