swarm-gis

Building GRASS 5.0

From: Ken Cline
Subject: Building GRASS 5.0
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 14:15:51 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

Some newbie questions for you GIS people...

First, what type of ordeal am I facing in trying to
build GRASS "5.0" for a Sparc 5 running solaris 2.5.1? My
experience is limited to building GNU products, tcl/tk and
Swarm.  How much more involved will GRASS be?

Second, in addition to giving me access to a large amount of
terrain data, will using GRASS with Swarm provide a way to
improve visualization of this data?  In particular, our
military model requires elevation and "footing" (eg
vegetation and other motility parameters) data and I've been
looking good way to combine these data sets on a single
raster.  The example images from many of the GRASS web sites
show that GRASS excels at terrain visualization, but will my
Swarm app be able to benefit from those capabilities?

I had hoped to answer these questions for myself yesterday
but unfortunately my ftp transfer stalled at 26.7 MB or so.
While the transfer did finally complete, I discovered after
un-tarring that in fact I had not recieved the entire
grass5.0 directory.  Perhaps I'll try again this evening.
Maybe in the future the grass5.0.tar could be broken up
into several tar files as to allow the download to be done
piecemeal?

Thanks in advance for your help and thanks to Jim Westervelt
for providing the GRASS "5.0" "pre-release".

Ken.

Ken Cline                             address@hidden
SAIC                                 VOICE (410) 571-0413
Annapolis, MD                          FAX (301) 261-8427

   Swarm-GIS is for discussion of Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
   and their integration or use with Swarm.  For list administration
   needs (esp. [un]subscribing), please send a message to
   <address@hidden> with "help" in the body of the message.