swarm-gis

Re: [Swarm-GIS] General question

From: Dave Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-GIS] General question
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 09:31:04 -0800

Massimiliano;

In our implementation of GIS raster data in Swarm modeling (see
www.wsu.edu/~village), I use ArcGIS>ArcToolbox>Extraction>Raster>Raster to
ASCII to export the data to a .txt file. I then open this file in Excel,
starting below the header info (@ line 7), space delimited import, general
data option. This gives me a rectangular matrix (array) w/ only the value
data used in the model. I use this routine w/ all our model world data, such
as elevation, soil types, vegetation, water, & household locations. The
model then reads the data as arrays. Our Swarm implementation uses Obj-C,
but I'd guess the same sort of routine would work w/ Java Swarm. I am not
the coder on this project, so can't provide much advice on model
implementation, but do all the GIS work (for the past 3+ years), & have had
few problems w/ this aspect of the data input.

Good Luck,

Dave