swarm-hackers

Re: [swarm-hackers] bye bye CVS?

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] bye bye CVS?
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 16:54:40 -0700

BN> It makes sense to me to move to svn.  Git is another can of worms
BN> altogether.  I think we would need a significantly larger
BN> community for that sort of fragmentation to make much sense.

BN> My two pennyworth Bill

NT> SVN to me is a much nicer version of CVS, but still CVS
NT> nevertheless. What do people think about Mercurial
NT> (http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/)?

I would also vote for SVN, especially if we can ensure that we
preserve the complete history from CVS so we can reconstruct old
versions and tags.

I know that SVN isn't perfect and lacks the advantages of distributed
version control systems, but the advantage of SVN is that it is close
enough to CVS for most contributors to transition too.  For Swarm, I
think the benefits of familiarity outweigh the benefits of newer
features.

Alex