Combat Model in Swarm

From: Rob Kewley
Subject: Combat Model in Swarm
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 10:05:01 -0300

To those interested in combat modelling in Swarm:

        My original message on the swarm-support list had an error in my web
site address.  I corrected it here.  I am re-sending this message on
this list for the benefit of those who subscribe to the list who may be
interested or who may be able to help.

I am currently  working
on a high resolution combat model designed to  simulate the battalion
and below mounted battle.  I am not creating this model for the sake of
the model alone.  My eventual goal is to parameterize the inputs to the
simulation that describe a friendly course of action.  Then I will run
the simulation alongside a genetic algorithm to optimize the outcome of
the battle as a function of those course of action inputs.  I have
already done this using a very simplistic model written in C.  See my
web page at http://www.rpi.edu/~kewler/ for a more detailed description
of this work.  I believe that this model will have an application as a
tactical decision aid.
        My current status is that I have a fairly simple model working
in swarm.  It simulates the battle with one homogeneous  force against
another.  It fights on a terrain data base depicting a 10km by 10km
piece of terrain at the National Training Center.  It displays the
terrain (I only use elevation data currently) and the friendly and enemy
forces as they fight the battle.  The combat algorithms use a constant
rate movement model, a simplistic target acquisition model based on the
DYNTACS model (It considers line of sight as a regression model to fit
field data.  Input variables are range, enemy height, enemy speed,
terrian complexity, and probability of looking in the sector containing
the enemy), a random target selection model, and a simple attrition
model which bases probability of kill on a linear interpolation between
100% at zero range and 0% at max range.
        My strategy is to keep the model simple until I can build  the
graphics, genetic algorithm, and fuzzy fitness function into it.  Then I
will build in  more complexity and realism.  My preliminary work had
promising results.
        My biggest problem is access to currently used combat models.
I  have
material from the Naval Postgraduate School, the ELAN combat model from
TRADOC Analysis Center - White Sands Missile Range, and the Military OR
Analyst's Handbook from Military Operation Research Society.  I
currently only have access to terrain data on the  US Geologic Survey
web site.  If anyone has access to combat algorithms or processed
terrain data bases designed for simulations, I would be interested.