Re: Interfacing GALib to Swarm

From: John W. Fondon III (Trey)
Subject: Re: Interfacing GALib to Swarm
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 16:43:55 -0600

>> From: "John W. Fondon III (Trey" <address@hidden>
>> Subject: Re: Interfacing GALib to Swarm
>
> [stuff deleted...]
>
>> BTW, this reminds me of a question I have that is not (exactly) related:
>> What is the minimal system upon which SWARM can be executed?
>> I'm planning on stacking up cheap pentium motherboards, sharing a single
>> disk, monitor, etc.
>> Is this feasible?
>>
>> Trey
>
>A friend of mine in graduate school had a similar setup worked out, with some
>important differences:  he was not using swarm, and he was stacking 386
>and 486
>boards (really cheap) rather than pentiums.  He was using the setup for
>genetic
>algorithms for optimization problems in physics, and wished to have several
>processors working on the problem in parallel.
>
>Each board simply had a cpu, 4 or 8 M RAM, and a network card.  Each board
>booted through its network card, started the appropriate daemons, and
>waited for
>instructions from the server (the sole pentium) to work on portions of the
>problem.  All communication was done via TCP/IP between boards.  The minimum
>requirements for each board were those required for a minimal linux kernel
>configuration, a few daemons, and preferably no swap space.
>
>I have never bothered to find out what the minimum configuration would be to
>have such a board running a linux kernel and a swarm process.  Is it much more
>than is required for just a linux kernel?

Dr. Box,
        Not only SWARM and the kernel, but also the code which will
evaluate  fitness (of course, this can always be shipped over to the server
if that is more efficient).

I fairly certain this is the most cost effective way to tackle a hard
problem that lends itself to distributed computing...

I've priced out a 2 generation removed pentium/mb/netcard  and it's
amazingly cheap when you compare cycles/second to alpha systems -  a biggie
that I have not resolved yet is RAM/cache (this will depend on SWARM and my
problem).  But I really think SWARM is the way to go as long as it will not
have any fundamental conflicts with this type of computing scheme...