A-Life VI Swarm workshop... an invitation and reminder

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: A-Life VI Swarm workshop... an invitation and reminder
Date: 23 Jun 1998 14:00:41 -0600

Hi!

For those that missed the A-Life VI announcement that Chris posted a
while back, here's the information on the Swarm workshop we are
running at A-Life VI, which is being held at UCLA in Los Angeles this
year:

   Swarm is a software package for multi-agent simulation of complex
systems being developed at The Santa Fe Institute.  Swarm is intended
to be a useful tool for researchers in a variety of disciplines,
especially artificial life. The basic architecture of Swarm is the
simulation of collections of concurrently interacting agents: with
this architecture, we can implement a large variety of agent based
models. The system can run on a number of operating systems and
platforms, including Unix, Linux, and now Windows NT - source code is
freely available under GNU Licensing terms.

   We intend to have an overview session of the Swarm architecture
for newcomers to the system and a description of where the tool is
heading in the future.

   Times: There will two parts to this workshop.

 ** Morning (10am-12 noon) - an overview and demonstration of the
capabilities of Swarm in the context of computer simulation, in
general, and artificial-life in particular, will be given.

 ** Afternoon (1pm-3pm) - we *may* be presenting a short tutorial for
those interested in the nuts and bolts of Swarm programming. Please
note that the tutorial is still contingent on a sufficient amount of
interest.

Contact person: Alex Lancaster <address@hidden>

For more details on the conference itself (which you will need to
register for, if you are not local to UCLA), please check:

   http://alife6.alife.org

PS.  If there are any people still interested in presenting work done
in Swarm at the workshop, there is still time, but please contact us
ASAP.  It will be a fairly informal affair compared to the conference
proper.

Regards,

  --- Alex
--