Re: How complex an agent?

From: donalson
Subject: Re: How complex an agent?
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 19:00:58 -0800

If you want to be able to work back from a simulation result to components of
contributing dynamics, then you really need very simple agents to go with your
complex
ones.  For example, I am working with a spatial metapopulation model.  The goal
of the
research is to understand the dynamics in a host/parasitoid system where the
inside of
the tree provides a partial refuge for the prey.  I started with a Delay
Differential
Equation Model that allows me to test a "well-mixed" version of the spatial
model
against a mathmatical result.  This really helps with debugging.  My next model
is a
stochastic birth/death version of the DDE model which allowed testing of
effects of
demographic stochasticity in the absence of space.  I am at present testing the
spatial model in the absence of any refuge.  This turned out to be quite
important
because within the parameter space I in which I am working, there are very
strong
spatial effects, even without a spatial refuge.  Without the previous step, if
I ever
get to the refuge gradient (sigh...), I would not have known that that there
were
underlying spatial dynamics involved, seperate from the refuge.

I have to say, this is like trying to untie a gordian knot.  Right now I am
trying to
determine how, when prey spatial distributions are not random, the amount of
time a
predator stays in a cell between moves effects the dynamics.  Good Luck!

Cheers,

   D3

Sven N. Thommesen wrote:

> At 12:34 AM 11/11/1998 +0100, you wrote:
> >       Dear Sven,
> >
> >       it seems to me that the statements of the last message of Glen in this
> >list, related to the discussion opened by James Marshall, are very
> >important in your perspective.
> >
> >       A guess: your interesting classification is mainly related to the
> > software
> >design problem; the choice introduced by Glen (human cognitive constituent
> >functions vs. statistical - and I add: mathematical or formal - modeling of
> >human behavior) goes directly to the core of the agent construction problem.
> >
> >       Pietro
>
> Definitely! I have already put it in the pile with a couple of other
> time to digest the responses.
>
> -Sven
>
>                   ==================================
>    Swarm-Modelling is for discussion of Simulation and Modelling techniques
>    esp. using Swarm.  For list administration needs (esp. [un]subscribing),
>    please send a message to <address@hidden> with "help" in the
>    body of the message.

* Doug Donalson                 Office: (805) 893-2962
* Ecology, Evolution,           Home:   (805) 961-4447
* and Marine Biology            email address@hidden
* UC Santa Barbara
* Santa Barbara Ca. 93106
*
*   The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that
*   heralds new discoveries, is not "EUREKA" (I have found it) but
*   "That's funny ...?"
*
*       Isaac Asimov
*