What are the advantages / disadvantages of Nueral Networks vs. Complex A

From: matt_lund
Subject: What are the advantages / disadvantages of Nueral Networks vs. Complex Adaptive-Agent based modelling?
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 15:42:33 -0700

Everyone,

I'm doing the programming for a project that attempts to simulate "how people choose" in order to simulate a small economy with lots of individuals, a couple of businesses, and a government that regulates.  I've read most of the Sugarscape book and have a limited but good-enough understanding of the complex adaptive-agent technique.

How does this technique compare to nueral networks?  My impression of nueral networks is that they're much more complicated.  Does it even make sense to incorporate nueral networks into agent-based simulations?  I'm not even sure what they use Nueral Nets to do, anyway.

If anyone has a minute to spare, please enlighten me!  :)

Matt.