Event-Oriented Computing and Reflection

From: Chris Landauer
Subject: Event-Oriented Computing and Reflection
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 08:56:34 -0800

two items -

second, when i wrote about swarm as time management, it was only that there is
no notion of explicit event sequencing in most of the MUD servers, so they do
not make a good "discrete event simulation" base in the usual sense (though i
don't remember whether swarm now also has floating-point time scheduling of
future events, in addition to the global "synchronous" update of state that
reflects a discrete marching of time units)

first, papers on agents with a wrapping architecture (we have done a few
implementations of wrapping architectures for large software system
applications, but we're still thinking about the properties that computer
programs should have to be properly called agents - most programs that are
called agents do not satisfy most of our criteria; they are more like hammers)

anyway, i've appended the citations (as LaTeX bibliography entries) on agent
architectures at the end - they are all available as postscript files (anyone
who is more interested in our knowledge-based approach to integration
infrastructure can e-mail me, and i will send you also a set of references for
those papers, but that discussion is somewhat beyond the scope of this list)

more later,
cal

Dr. Christopher Landauer
Aerospace Integration Science Center
The Aerospace Corporation, Mail Stop M6/214
P.O.Box 92957
Los Angeles, California 90009-2957, USA
e-mail: address@hidden
Phone: +1 (310) 336-1361

================

\bibitem {Bellman96a}
        Kirstie L. Bellman, ``When Intelligence is in Control'', pp. 10-12 in
Alex Meystel, Jim Albus, R. Quintero (eds.), {\em Intelligent Systems: A
Semiotic Perspective}, {\em Proceedings of the 1996 International
Multidisciplinary Conference}, {\em Volume I: Theoretical Semiotics}, {\em
Workshop on Biologically Inspired Complex Systems}, 20-23 October 1996, NIST,
Gaithersburg, Maryland (1996)

\bibitem {Bellman97b}
        Kirstie L. Bellman, ``Sharing Work, Experience, Interpretation, and
maybe even Meanings Between Natural and Artificial Agents'' (invited paper),
pp. 4127-4132 (Vol. 5) in {\em Proceedings of SMC'97: the 1997 IEEE
International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics}, 12-15 October
1997, Orlando, Florida (1997)

\bibitem {Bellman-Landauer97a}
        Kirstie L. Bellman, Christopher Landauer, ``A Note on Improving the
Capabilities of Software Agents'' (poster summary), pp. 512-513 in {\em
Proceedings of AA'97: The First International Conference on Autonomous
Agents}, 5-8 February 1997, Marina Del Rey (1997)

\bibitem {Bellman-Landauer97d}
        Kirstie L. Bellman, Christopher Landauer, ``Computational Embodiment:
Biological Considerations'', pp. 422-427 in A. M. Meystel (ed.), {\em
Proceedings of ISAS'97: The 1997 International Conference on Intelligent
Systems and Semiotics: A Learning Perspective}, 22-25 September 1997, NIST,
Gaithersburg, Maryland (1997)

\bibitem {Landauer-Bellman97c}
        Christopher Landauer, Kirstie L. Bellman, ``Computational Embodiment:
Constructing Autonomous Software Systems'', pp. 42-54 in Judith A. Lombardi
(ed.), {\em Continuing the Conversation: Dialogues in Cybernetics}, {\em
Volume I}, {\em Proceedings of the 1997 ASC Conference}, American Society for
Cybernetics, 8-12 March 1997, U. Illinois (1997); (to appear) in {\em
Cybernetics and Systems: An International Journal} Volume 30, No. 2 (1999)

\bibitem {Landauer-Bellman97d}
        Christopher Landauer, Kirstie L. Bellman, ``Computational Embodiment:
Software Architectures'', pp. 205-210 in A. M. Meystel (ed.), {\em Proceedings
of ISAS'97: The 1997 International Conference on Intelligent Systems and
Semiotics: A Learning Perspective}, 22-25 September 1997, NIST, Gaithersburg,
Maryland (1997)

\bibitem {Landauer-Bellman99c}
        Christopher Landauer, Kirstie L. Bellman, ``Computational Embodiment:
Agents as Constructed Complex Systems'', (to appear) in Kerstin Dautenhahn
(ed.), {\em Human Cognition and Social Agent Technology}, Benjamins (1999,
expected)