Re: Presenting Results

From: Jan Kreft
Subject: Re: Presenting Results
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 09:22:41 +0100 (BST)

Hi Steve,

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, M. Lang / S. Railsback wrote:

> SCHREIBER,DARREN MATTHEW wrote:
> >
> > Here's a basic question... how do we present results?
>
> Good question!
>
> I'll add to it: Who has experience, positive or negative, with pasting
> images from their Swarm windows into a journal article? We just changed
> our raster so it shows shades of grey instead of colors, to see if it
> would look better in print than colors converted to greyscale by the
> printer (probably not).
>
> The power of the animation window to transfer information and
> understanding (and to entertain and mesmerize) is very hard to give up,
> especially after you're run your sim in front of a room full of people
> and they all thought it was cool and consequently got excited about your
> work.
>
> I'm preparing a paper and considering putting animation movies of the
> model runs in the paper up on our web site; create a special page just
> for the publication, and give the address in the paper. People could
> click to download the GIF animation of the model run used to generate
> the results in Fig. 4b, etc. etc. I am curious to see what journal
> editors and reviewers think of this idea; it seems useful at least for
> the review process.

That's basically what I did, and the editors/reviewers thought it useful.

Best, Jan.

Jan Kreft                               Phone +44 (0)1222 875278
Cardiff School of Biosciences           Fax   +44 (0)1222 874305
Cardiff University                      E-mail address@hidden
PO Box 915, Cardiff CF10 3TL, UK