Re: validation from data is also insufficient

From: Gary Polhill
Subject: Re: validation from data is also insufficient
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 13:37:08 +0100

address@hidden wrote:

> validation from data alone is not sufficient (with enough parameters, any
> model can mimic any behavior to some degree of accuracy) - there should also
> be some kind of model plausibility argument, based on theory or something
> (part of good modeling is making good choices of these somethings)

The problem with model plausibility is that it is subjective.... Which is
more plausible, that I am decended from an amoeba or that I am decended
from a lump of mud a narcissistic deity crafted to look like his reflection
and gave the kiss of life to?

In fact (facetiousness aside), doesn't this take us right back to where
we started with this -- the reviewer's comments on Steve's paper? You might
argue that basing the plausibility on theory would remove the reviewer's
bias from the equation, but theory is itself a model.

Gary

--

Macaulay Land Use Research Institute, Craigiebuckler, Aberdeen. AB15 8QH
Tel: +44 (0) 1224 318611               Email: address@hidden