Re: Query: Spatially uncorrelated reproducible random values

From: Sven N. Thommesen
Subject: Re: Query: Spatially uncorrelated reproducible random values
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 08:37:17 -0500

At 11:50 PM 8/2/2000 +0100, you wrote:
Thanks, Paul. That's certainly the kind of thing that I have in mind: coordinates in, random value out. However, I am not sure that conventional random number generators generate values that are uncorrelated with their seeds. The usual tests for randomness are tests of the non-correlation of successive values generated using the _same_ seed. Do you know that there is no correlation between a seed and the (next) generated value, or is this just an assumption you've made?

Nigel

Well, as the guy who put the "random" in Swarm, I can say that there is *no promise* that first values are uncorrelated with seeds. This might be the case with specific generators, but not by (my) design.

Also keep in mind that for a generator with a large state space (e.g. the default generator mt19937) a 32bit seed can only pick out a very small set of all possible starting states. [That's why I allow you to specify the state yourself, if you so choose.] So it's quite possible that two different seeds might produce the *same* 32-bit first variate.

As Nigel points out, the promise of random generators is usually that *successive values* will appear random, whatever the starting seed.

Cheers,
Sven Thommesen