Newbie Installation queestion

From: Kenneth Gosier
Subject: Newbie Installation queestion
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 23:47:55 -0400 (EDT)

Hello all, I am currently trying to install Swarm 2.1.1 on a RedHat 6.2
i386 machine. What I've done so far is download the 5 rpm files from
ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/binaries/redhat/i386/

hdf5-1.2.1-1.i386.rpm
swarm-2.1.1-1.rh6.i386.rpm
swarm-hdf5-2.1.1-1.rh6.i386.rpm
swarm-kaffe-2.1.1-1.rh6.i386.rpm
swarm-static-2.1.1-1.rh6.i386.rpm

I have no problems when I use the command

rpm -ivh filename

on the 3 files

hdf5-1.2.1-1.i386.rpm
swarm-2.1.1-1.rh6.i386.rpm
swarm-static-2.1.1-1.rh6.i386.rpm

But when I do the same to swarm-hdf5-2.1.1-1.rh6.i386.rpm, I get the
error message

error: failed dependencies:
        swarm conflicts with swarm-hdf5-2.1.1-1.rh6
        swarm-hdf5 conflicts with swarm-2.1.1-1.rh6

Question: What's going wrong here? Should I even be installing all 5 files
in this way?

I can gladly take a reference to RTFM from somewhere I haven't checked
yet. I have looked through the Getting Started with Swarm guide,
as well as Paul Johnson's online FAQ, and as far as I can tell, I should
just install all 5 files. Though querying the 2 conflicting rpm's seems
to show they want to install almost the same set of files.

Question 2: I can't install swarm-kaffe-2.1.1-1.rh6.i386.rpm, b/c I don't
have kaffe installed on this machine (though I have the rpm on the RedHat
CD.) Do I only need to install this rpm if I want to program simulations
in Java, or perhaps run other people's Java applications?

Many thanks for any help you can send my way--

Ken Gosier
address@hidden