lets shape up the FTP anarchy archive (was Re: FAQ & biomedical

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: lets shape up the FTP anarchy archive (was Re: FAQ & biomedical
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 14:17:46 -0600

"address@hidden" wrote:

> hi all.
>
> i'm an undergraduate student in electrical engineering course with a
> special interest in complex systems modelling/engineering. i've just
> getting started with swarm and have several questions to ask:
>
> 1. are these postings in this mailing-list were being documented/has FAQs
> documentations, which i can refer before posting some questions?
You can directly search the archive yourself, follow the links in
www.swarm.org.

There is a FAQ I maintain here
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/SwarmFaq/SwarmOnlineFaq.html

And in there you see I've got a giant collection of Marcus's mini
programs

http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/SwarmFaq/WorkingExampleCode

> 2. i was wondering if there are some resources/examples in modelling
> applications using swarm on topics like:

> -lucky-
In the swarm ftp, there are many contributed projects which are not
listed in the pointy-and-clicky interface on www.swarm.org. Check out
ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/src/users-contrib/anarchy/

<Soapbox mode>
My personal wish is that we (swarm community) could create a form that
each user could fill out to create a little readme file for each posted
application. I think it is a bit overwhelming if you look in the FTP and
see a ton of stuff, and have to guess what these things are from file
names.  Some apps might be just what you need, but you can't tell!
Other anonymous ftp sites (ftp://sunsite.unc.edu, for example) have
files with the .lsm extension for that purpose, I think we should try to
do it too.

I think the Swarm community should be able to devise such a form and
then post it along with the tarball.  If somebody here knows what all
should be in such a form, please send it to me, I'll do some lobbying
with the web administrator to see if we can't make it so.  Don't leave
it up to Marcus, lets do it ourselves.  If it seems worthwhile, I am
pretty sure I can write an html page using forms where people could type
in their info and it would generate the form. I'm pretty sure, I've not
done it before, but I've done projects like that.

</Soapbox mode>