Re: lets shape up the FTP anarchy archive (was Re: FAQ & biomedical

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: lets shape up the FTP anarchy archive (was Re: FAQ & biomedical
Date: 06 Nov 2000 13:02:53 -0800

PJ> Other anonymous ftp sites (ftp://sunsite.unc.edu, for example)
PJ> have files with the .lsm extension for that purpose, I think we
PJ> should try to do it too.

The hard part isn't adapting a blurb for the website, it is writing
something meaningful and keeping it up-to-date.

The distributions in anarchy/ are there because no-one on our end has
thought about the models and libraries in detail.  (Or at least if we have,
we don't want to take responsibility for them.)

Although many of the distributions are updated incrementally with each
release of Swarm, the changes are for the most part localized and
superficial.  Usually what happens is that people want to contribute
stuff once and for all and not maintain it in an ongoing way.  Witness
Boids, NewBoids, etc.

Anyway, it would be great if folks would go through those anarchy
distributions, and 1) test them, 2) seriously look for related papers
and documentation, or make some up, 3) deprecate the obsolete junk, and 4)
organize it all in a coherent way.

One place this could be done is on Sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net).
We can set up a DNS swarm.org alias, if anyone thinks that's important.

Alternatively, if someone does generate the metadata for the existing
anarchy files, inventing some LSM-like format, it would not be hard to
transform that in to the DocBook SGML that www.swarm.org uses for
the contribution page.