Re: slightly off-topic: support open source for publically-funded resea

From: Darren Schreiber
Subject: Re: slightly off-topic: support open source for publically-funded research
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 11:53:18 -0800

I haven't said anything on this topic yet, but I think I am probably one of the few lawyers on this listserve. For an act of Congress or a federal agency to be unconstitutional, it has to do basically one of two things.

1.  Not be within the enumerated powers of Congress or the federal government.

2.  Violate some right listed in the Constitution or amendments.

Now, the necessary and proper clause (Article I, Section 8, Clause 18) has been interpreted to Congress the authority to do most things it wants to regarding the appropriation of federal funding. And, Article I, Section 8, Clause 1, gives the Congress the power to law and collect taxes to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the US. So, we don't have a limitation of powers issue here.

And, I can't think of any particular right (remember that there has to be some right specified in the Constitution) that would be violated by such limitations on the use of funds.

Therefore, constitutionality is not an issue.

The notion of citizen's consent to taxation and government is important in a theoretical sense to US government, but we don't live in a direct democracy where we vote every governmental law, rule, and regulation up or down. We have representatives who make laws and agencies to make policy etc. We consent to the law by electing our representatives and remaining within the jurisdiction of the country.

This is obviously off-off topic, but I thought maybe it would end the debate on the constitutional issue.

Well, I'm not going to claim to know anything about constitutional
law; but, it seems to me that it could be considered unconstitutional
to appropriate funds from the citizenry and then use those funds
without that citizenry's consent.  For any *particular* grant
managed by the NSF, say, to constrain the project to open source
would be above board because the citizenry has consented to
managing these projects on a case-by-case basis.  In fact, that's
simply the way it works and has worked for a long time.

                 Darren Schreiber
                  Attorney at Law
                 Graduate Student
             Political Science, UCLA