Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Swarm and Braided Rivers

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Swarm and Braided Rivers
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 21:46:55 -0700

Crile Doscher wrote:

My interest is braided rivers, rivers with either sand or gravel riverbeds, with typically wide floodplains and relatively steep slopes. Since the bed is made up of movable material, these sands and gravels are moved around by the flowing water, and in the process form multiple channels (hence the name braided). You can see these processes at work next time you're at the beach and come across water flowing over the sand. An interesting aspect of these rivers is their scaling properties. Regardless of whether it's a trickle of water flowing over sand or the Bhramaputra River (a rather large river), the behaviour seems to be the same: the channels tend to follow a power law distribution in both time and space (not unlike turbulence or earthquakes).
Interesting! I think you could use Swarm for some version of this, but to really measure the scaling, I wonder if you'll end-up need a little more horsepower. Maybe something like http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/freepooma? It depends how big of simulations you want to run vs. how complex the rules are. Out of curiousity, aren't packages like Fluent (http://www.fluent.com/software/fluent/modeling_capabilities.htm) supposed to track and measure quantities like this?

Anyway, my observation is just that to scale these kinds of simulations up (assuming that's a need), I think you'll need special purpose software. Software designed to do one thing very well and to do it in parallel on multiple computers.