[Swarm-Modelling] participation in a survey

From: Deidra Morrison
Subject: [Swarm-Modelling] participation in a survey
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 14:54:38 -0600

Hello All,

My name is Deidra Morrison, and I am a graduate student in the
Electrical Engineering and Computer Science department at Northwestern
University.  I am currently conducting research jointly with the
Center for Connected Learning in the Learning Sciences department
here.  I am seeking participants to complete a short 5-10 minute
survey to give me information about distance collaboration with
interdisciplinary groups.

I am studying an area of multidisciplinary research called Computer
Supported Collaborative Learning.  My specific interests in this field
are focusing on understanding the types of social interaction that
occurs in successful collaboration, where the groups' demographics are
frequently multi-disciplinary and the collaboration is done
asynchronously.  I plan on incorporating this information in the
design of a web-based lab notebook technology that will enable these
types of social interactions for researchers collaborating when
working from different locations.

For a community, such as this, the technology could enable you to
broaden your collaborative field to more modelers and researchers
across universities, as well as help to establish a more formal and
organized method for organizing and sharing research within the
respective fields and with your peers.  It would also help to
encourage others to participate in agent based modeling collaborations, because
there are technologies to assist in making the process a more
organized and accessible one.  You would also have the benefit of
informing a technology that would be not only very useful to your
future projects, but to your colleagues as well, who wish to
collaborate distantly in the development of models and theory around
complex systems.  The project would greatly benefit from having your
participation.

To start the investigative process I am seeking participants  to
complete a survey to contribute information about their experiences
collaborating on complex systems research.  This survey should take no
more than 10 minutes to complete, and all demographic information
would be kept private and only referenced as an aggregated group, and
not individually.

http://ethiopia.cs.northwestern.edu/~djm101/metalab/collab_survey.html

If you would like to lend your participation in this study in the way
of technology testing, preliminary data survey participation, or post
data survey participation as well, please contact me at
address@hidden.

Thank you very much,

Deidra Morrison