Re: [Swarm-Modelling] lifecycle requirements

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] lifecycle requirements
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 15:39:06 +1100

On 27/11/2006, at 2:03 PM, Marcus G. Daniels wrote:
glen e. p. ropella wrote:
Analogies might be
made to sand piles or whirlpools where the object is identifiable even
though its constituents are in flux.
Consider a chemical reaction, or the experience of a scent or flavor, where what is important is that multiple objects are present at once. Then the notion of a container is not actually present and potentially misleading even as an implementation detail.

I have been following this discussion, and I am still at a loss to see what Glen is after that Objective-C Swarm does not provide.

This last remark of Marcus' sort of clarifies it for me.

How can the idea of 'present vs absent' be divorced from the concept of a container. To me present means within some container and absent means not in that container. This is not an implementation detail. The concept of present seems meaningless without reference to the concept of a boundary (container) within which the thing is or is not present.

Cheers
Bill