how to get rid of a List

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: how to get rid of a List
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 1995 10:39:13 -0500 (EST)

I haven't been able to figure out how to get rid of a List
I create such that memory is all given back.

roughly I am doing this:

------
changed = [List create: xZone];
... addLast some agent-objects to the list...
index = [changed begin: xZone];
while ( (ag = [index next]) ) {
   [ag resetEh];
}
[index dropFrom: xZone];
[changed drop];
--------------

I also tried [changed dropFrom: xZone].
In both cases I could see M use go up indefinitely.
If I comment out these codes dealing with the changed List,
memory usage is stable.  I'm pretty sure its the List and not
the index, since I use the same trick of begin:/dropFrom: indexes
all over the place and that seems to work fine.

So....what do I do to give back all the memory my List is using?
(note that I don't want to get rid of the actual agent objects
in the list...they are not being created or destroyed thru all this.)

thanks!
 - r

------

Rick Riolo                       address@hidden
Program for Study of Complex Systems (PSCS)
1061 Randall Lab     University of Michigan
Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
http://pscs.physics.lsa.umich.edu/rlr-home.html