Introducing the OZ/UK/Sweden group

From: WILKINSON I
Subject: Introducing the OZ/UK/Sweden group
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 96 13:41:00 GMT

As requested by Chris Langton a *brief* inroduction to our research
interests and aims.

Overview

I am part of a small international group working on the analysis of the
evolution of industrial (marketing and business)  networks.  We have written
some papers on theory and some simple models have been developed (
references below).

We are particularly interested in non anonymous interaction, where firms
learn about their trading partners and can enjoy benefits (and costs) of
repeat trading.  Axelrod's work on the evolution of cooperation is helpful
but needs to be embodied in a network of players where gain comes both
directly in the dyad and indirectly through the network.  Realistic like
representations of economic dimensions and social dimensions of relations
are needed.

Earlier exploratory models were developed with a colleague who is an
analytical chemist (an interesting academic relationship).  His name is
Professor Brynn Hibbert, Analytical Chemistry at the University of New South
Wales, Australia, (which is where I used to be).  At present I am on
sabbatical until end of May  working with Professor Geoff Easton and Luis
Araujo in the Marketing Department at the University of Lancaster  trying to
develop a model to explore the evolution of networks of  firms (when they
can extractate themselves from admin, teaching and other stuff).

The other member of the group is Professor Hakan Hakansson at Uppsala
University in Sweden, who has written a  lot about network development and
technology amongst other things.  He recently visited me at the University
of Western Sydney, Nepean in Australia (one of the new universities) and
this allowed us to realise our common research direction.  As a result of
this we have been exploring Stuart Kauffman's NK models as a vehicle for
pursuing our research and I have just completed an early draft summary
(probably fairly basic to most of you) which tries show how the NK model can
help the research. I would be pleased to email a copy to anyone willing to
read and coment on it - it is entitled "NK models and the Evolution of
Networks"

Role of  Swarm

Swarm seems to be a way of getting past the software holdup  - our
programming skills are rather rudimentary except for the chemist and he is
too busy to do it all. However some funds are being used to hire tame
programmers. which should allow us to install Swarm.  The computer systems
at the four unis involved give us access to various systems. Ideally of
course we want it on our laptops.

Background

My research in this areas has evolved from an attempt to integrate the
economic and behavioral theories of marketing channel structure in a
comparative static way (Dixon and Wilkinson 1986) moving on to an
evolutionary model (Wilkinson 1990).  Marketing channels and
business/industrial networks are to me all talking about the same thing.

The comparative static paper borrows from economics and behavioural theories
of the firm and individual.  The aim in part was to integrate the
behavioural and economic dimensions that are so often dealt with (at least
im my area) in different languages and with different analytical approaches,
such that the underlying linkages are obscured.   In Wilkinson (1990) a
process model of channel structure is developed, which essentially  is the
bottom up type approach leading to emergent structures that all the gurus at
Santa Fe and others have been developing.   The question became more why do
structures get continually reproduced rather than why they change.  The
latter being  the focus of research in the past.  The paper outlines a
simple model based on work in the modelling of urban retail structures  in
which units could evolve and link with trading partners and  I suggest how
the emergence of new rules and structures and types of firms might evolve.

This model became the basis of some exploration when I teamed up with Brynn
Hibbert,  who was doing vaguely similar things in his field.  This work
drifted off to explore chaos as a dynamic emerging in the models under
plausible conditions (Hibbert and Wilkinson 1994).  The model was recast
into an advertising response model with feedback in order to make the
response times more meaningful and to provide a basis for testing agains
scanner data on purchase patterns.  We did some elementary testing of
scanner data but there is so much noise in the data that we have not gone
far with that.   We also explored genetic algorithms using the same basic
model to see how reacting patterns could evolve and this was reported at a
conference (H and W 1991).

 All the papers mentioned can  be sent to those interested.