Re: Problems getting sample appl'ns to compile

From: Nelson Minar
Subject: Re: Problems getting sample appl'ns to compile
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 96 12:17:35 MST

>Sorry to disturb with this seemingly trivial problem, but I got Swarm to
>compile successfully, but now am faced with compiling the sample applications,
>which do not compile.  The error I get using gcc 2.7.2 is:
>163> make
>make: Fatal error in reader: ../swarm/Makefile.appl, line 13:
>Unexpected end of line seen
>The thirteenth line of the file in question reads:
>vpath lib%.a $(LIBDIR)

Sounds like you aren't using GNU make. The "vpath" directive is GNU
specific: it's like a normal make's VPATH, but only applies to files
that match the pattern lib%.a. Should work fine with GNU make.

If you want to try a quick hack, just remove that line from
Makefile.appl. It won't break anything, but your applications won't
magically relink if you change one of the libraries.